Here In My Home - Malaysian Artistes For Unity

Thursday 8 May 2008

Going Upscale With Laddus

As I have posted before, my most favoured Indian sweetmeat is laddu, usually the motichoor laddu that is the most common being sold locally. I usually purchase these from my favourite puttu mayam vendor in Lebuh Ampang but after trying out Sri Paandi's laddus for an extra forty cents, I have recently become more adventurous and tried out the laddus on offer at the various Indian restaurants in the are.

Sri Paandi's motichoor laddu and ravva laddu above are the best amongst the four being reviewed although they are the second most expensive amongst the lot. The milkiness and spice mix to me are very balanced and to bite into each piece is certainly a pleasure. They also keep very well in the fridge amongst the lot and does not change in texture as the other laddus are wont to be. A good treat to keep longer if you do not buy laddus on a regular basis. The most noticeable difference is that the motichoor laddu is orange instead of the more yellowy colour of the rest.

Bakti Woodlands motichoor laddu are the most expensive of the lot, probably because of the silver flakes put on top and because they add some cashews into it, a bit like the ravva laddu. But it is only ten cents more from Sri Paandi's version so who is counting. Tastewise however their laddu is the mildest as their laddu are more creamy than spiced and I guess very similar to what I get from the original Punjabi man I usually buy my laddus from when I was growing up in my hometown of Ipoh. It is also not so sweet so I guess it would be good for those who want to try out this delicacy without wanting their tastebuds overwhelmed by an explosion of sweetness, creaminess and spiciness in one bite that can turn off some people. Sort of training wheeled laddus for beginners.

Lastly there is not much difference between the laddus from Sri Premala Cafe on the left and Lakshmi Villas on the right that makes me wonder if they are made from the same source. They also cost the same at seventy cents each but in bulk are a wee bit smaller than Sri Paandi's laddu balls and they are more delicate in texture and do not keep as well in the fridge as you can note the creamy milk emulsifying and the taste changing a bit as a result. These taste midway between Sri Paandi's and Bakti Woodlands so it would be good for those who likes a medium tasting laddo. Premala meanwhile also offers a more authentic ravva laddu than Sri Paandi's version but somehow I prefer the latter's version more as here the delicateness factor now favors it. It is a bit hard to bite into Premala's version especially since they are very generous with the ginger flavoured sugar kernels that makes you wonder if you had bitten into bits of stone.

Well after all is said and done, even though I have bought laddus from the more famous Jai Hind near Masjid India, that experience did not make forget to buy laddus from street vendors. However with the different offerings from Lebuh Ampang, I am afraid that the more economical versions of laddus being sold by these vendors does not cut it any more for my tastebuds. Being a snob in going upscale you say? Nolah! But why settle for sugary sweetness that is the hallmark of streetside laddus when you can get the full taste treatment by paying a few cents more.

No comments: